Monday, October 10, 2011

Why live on the edge when you can jump off it?

"Cyn, you didn't come all the way to New Zealand NOT to bungy jump! The Kiwi's invented the sport, it's only necessary that you do it here!" My auntie gives me a prep talk as I start to get cold feet. All I can think of was that she was right, and no matter how terrified I was I knew I would regret not doing it. 


I chose to do my first bungy jump at Taupo Bungy in Taupo, New Zealand (3.5 hours drive from Auckland). What attracted me to them was their location and their "water touch bungy" where they give you the option to touch the water or even completely submerge in it and everything in between. I would've chosen the complete water submersion but it was winter time in New Zealand and probably wouldn't have been the best idea, so I just asked for my arms to touch the water. 


As they strap the bungy cords to my ankles, all I can do is pray that I don't pee or throw up on myself or do both at the same time. I've never been so nervous in my life! I see my 2 younger cousins close by, being the best cheerleaders anyone can ask for and I knew there was no turning back. It was "go big or go home" time!

 

The winds swaying the cantilever platform projecting out off the cliff tops did not help to calm my nerves. I look down from the edge of the platform and it's about 47 meters to Waikato River. I try to shake out my nerves, put my arms up, tuck my chin in, take a deep breath and just jump. It lasted less than a minute but it felt like my body was being tossed up and down for much longer. When I finally stopped being thrown around like a rag doll and got to catch my breath, I look around and the realized just how beautiful the river and gorge was. Saying that this experience was AMAZING would be an understatement. 

 

I hung upside down for what seemed like forever and I remember thinking I wish I wore an undershirt. A boat came and handed me a long stick to pull myself down with. Once back on shore my body felt discombobulated, like my legs were made of jello and it didn't feel like I was on actual land. I was exhausted, and to make things worse they make you hike back up the mountain to the bungy center, which wasn't fun but I would've done the whole experience again in a heartbeat. The next time I bungy jump in New Zealand I think I'll try AJ Hackett Bungy on the Auckland Bridge. Any takers on a tandem jump? =)



For more info on New Zealand, check out my sister blog: THE LONG WEEKENDERS



No comments:

Post a Comment