Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kailua-Kona part 1: Waikoloa living

I normally don't stay at fancy hotels, it's more of a once-in-a-while type thing, and only if I come across a good deal. But when I travel to the Big Island of Hawaii it's a given for me...I HAVE to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Village for the majority of my stay (which is tied with the Hilton Taba in Egypt for my favorite/best hotel that I've ever stayed at).






This 62 acre resort is a destination in itself, you need a minimum of least 2 days at the Hilton Waikoloa to really enjoy/appreciate it. It's located 20 minutes from Kona International Airport, on the waterfront of the Kohala Coast, in the luxurious Waikoloa resort compound. They have 3 towers with 1,200+ guest rooms, and 3 ways of getting to these rooms: walking, tram or boat. The air conditioned tram and canal boat rides are completely unnecessary, unless you have a lot of luggage and have a room located in one of the far towers. But I absolutely love the idea of it and every chance I get (regardless if my walk time is significantly shorter) I will opt to ride the boat to whatever part of the hotel I need to get to.

Canal Boat to the room? 
Orrrrrr you can take the tram...
My favorite part of the resort: the salt water lagoon! It is connected to the ocean and Hawaiian sea turtles can roam around as they please. The lagoon also has a waterfall, which is the best place to snorkel with the turtles. FYI, it is against Hawaii state law to touch or harm these endangered turtles and is considered a serious offense. 

Hilton's own salt water lagoon


Sea Turtles swimming in Hilton's Lagoon

Other water sport activities you can do in the lagoon are kayaking, paddle boating, hydro biking, snorkeling, and stand up paddle boarding.


Still not convinced? Here's some other things the resort offers:

-Tropical Gardens and wildlife
-Museum walkways full of Polynesian and Asian artworks displayed all around the hotel (there's over 1,800 pieces in their collection)
-Restaurants and Lounges with live music & pool tables
-Shopping- Can't find what you need at the resort? Visit the 2 small shopping areas that are located close by in the Waikoloa complex. The King's Shops and Queen's Marketplace are both walking distance from the hotel. Feeling lazy? No worries, they also have a shopping shuttle.
-Golf & putting course
-Hawaiian classes & complimentary water aerobics and introductory snorkeling classes
-Dolphin Encounters
-3 swimming pools (2 have water slides, and with poolside bars next to them)
-Legends of the Pacific Luau
-Tennis courts
-The Kohala Spa- Did I mention the free toiletry sets they leave in the room are the best smelling shampoo/conditioner/lotion I've ever gotten from a hotel?  They're from Kohala Spa's signature "Coconut-Mango" collection. I love them, and I always try to ask for as many extra bottles they can give me. You can also purchase them at their store in the lobby but they do get a little pricey (example: $25+ for a 16 oz bottle of lotion).

The serene Buddha Point
Get close to the Hilton's various wildlife
Asian art found underneath the lagoon's waterfall
Kona Pool- the largest of the 3 pools.
Beachfront
*Keep an eye out the next couple days for my "Kailua-Kona part 2" blog which will be about what to see and do on the Big Island...

No comments:

Post a Comment