Sunday, January 29, 2012

Do some Good

As I mentioned in my last blog, I'm going to "get it together" in 2012. One step in my process is really figuring out what I want to do with my life and what I have to accomplish to get there. For those of you who don't already know, my dream job is to work for the United Nations. So this past week, I made another trip to New York City and visited the UN Headquarters in Manhattan. And it was learning experience in itself.

United Nations Headquarters, NY
"imagine a world in peace..."
one day I'll have a delegate seat here in the UN general assembly hall 
I'm huge on any type of humanitarian efforts, regardless how big or small the contribution is. Since I travel extensively I've been exposed to many of the world's continuing problems, like extreme poverty, hunger, women's rights, lack of education, and war/political unrest. Some of the UN exhibits that touched up on these subjects really hit home for me, and made me want to be associated with the United Nations even more...





Of course many people want to give back, but I know times are rough and if you can't make monetary donations or have time to volunteer, you can still help out. During my tour of the UN, I found this AMAZING website called www.FreeRice.com which is a non-profit website run by the United Nations World Food Programme. On their website you can choose from 6 different subjects (Language, Humanities, Math, Geography, English and Chemistry) and play trivia games. You're probably thinking, so what's the big deal?! Welllllll…For each answer you get right, FreeRice will donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Programme to help end world hunger. I personally think it's a genius idea! So I highly encourage everyone to make an account (it's free, so no excuses), play the games and help feed a person in need. It's a win-win! I love it and I do the trivia questions whenever I have any kind of down time, not to mention I always feel a little bit smarter after completing a level. =)

So go on and do some good! 





No comments:

Post a Comment